As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Little Something Sweet


I have never decided whether these little bites are cookies or candy, but what I can tell you is that you can whip them up in less than 10 minutes (although you'll have to wait a few more minutes for them to chill) and they are gooooood. I found this recipe in Martha Stewart Living years ago and we have been making them ever since. If you like coconut and chocolate (does anyone not love chocolate?), then give them a try. 



COCONUT CHOCOLATE PATTIES
~ original recipe in Martha Stewart Living October 2002 ~

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
3 drops almond extract
3 3/4 ounces* semi-sweet chocolate, melted 

* * *

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Spread coconut on parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly toast in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (And watching carefully to see that it doesn't burn...ask me how I know.)
Remove from oven and allow to cool.

In a bowl, toss toasted coconut, almond extract, and melted chocolate until mixed.
Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press together.
Repeat.

Place sheet of patties in the refrigerator until firm, about 20 minutes.

(Keep refrigerated until serving.)

* I threw caution to the wind and used 4 1-ounce pieces of semi-sweet chocolate; adding that additional 1/4 ounce didn't seem to make a lot of difference. ;)



Do you have a quick little something in your dessert repertoire? 

10 comments:

  1. I make these nearly every year at Christmas. I call them macaroons but I don't know if that's the correct term. They remind me of one of my favorite candy bars...Mounds. I have never put in the almond extract but I just might next time! Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't! That's what I always say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Cheryl, I must try these. My family loves chocolate and coconut, except the eldest grandson. It's the texture thing with him. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they look yummy! Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and good. I like that combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these every Christmas too--but with smashed cornflakes and add some peanut butter to the chocolate. And we love them with butterscotch chips too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH...MY...GOODNESS.... We made these very same "treats" every year at Christmas time at our house when I was growing up. I forgot all about them and havent't had any since I was a young girl. I LOVED them....Can't tell you the memories this has just stirred up. I might have to make some. Hope the rest of your week is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are always so good - I like that you toasted the coconut first adding more flavour!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is definitely candy to me and the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound so yummy! But if I made them, I'd have to eat them all because my husband doesn't like coconut. Hmmm. That wouldn't be so bad....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate and coconut... Um, yes! I don't have a quick treat recipe, but I've been known to eat chocolate chips straight from the bag for a real quick fix!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...