As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Thursday Chat...and a Little Blogging Break


About that highboy...

First of all, I loved reading your comments and advice! You all had me grinning from ear to ear as you offered your opinions, both here at the blog and on my personal Facebook page. One friend, in a private email, made this concession: 
"I promise not to be so opinionated if that piece turns up black someday. I'll just say How lovely!"

Of course, I know that the world is not hanging on my decision. But just in case anyone is curious, I will tell you that the highboy is not going to be painted. (For now.) The more I look at that beautiful cherry finish, the less I can imagine painting over it. 

However, I have also decided that it cannot live in my living room. I really wanted to make it work, It is such a beautiful piece, and I love it! But I have lived with it her for several weeks now and it she is The Queen among more humble residents. It she stands there looking elegant and Queen Anne-ly...and she steals the show. So she is going to go upstairs to my bedroom where she will still steal the show...but fewer people visit my bedroom, and I will have time to decide what to do with her. (That is, after I sell my current bedroom suit. I tell you, there is a lot of furniture coming and going in my house these days! First world problems.) 




It's been a while since Kati has hosted a photo challenge (the girl has been busy!), but July is the month and I am excited about it. I tend to get into picture taking ruts, but a photo challenge causes me to think differently and try new things. I am hoping for a burst of creativity!

Kati will be posting her rules for the challenge in an upcoming blog post. Want to join us?






Have you had a chance to peek at Nora Murphy Country House's summer e-mag? Oh, please do! You do not want to miss it!








Now it is time to take a little blogging break.

We're expecting some good times here at The Farmhouse, and I need to be able to be all here! I'll keep my camera handy (and try to remember to use it), and I'll be back in a week or so.




15 comments:

  1. I'm kind of glad you aren't painter HER. At least you have time to enjoy her beauty upstairs. but getting her up there--oh my, that sounds like a challenge, she's so big. Enjoy making the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful piece of furniture ! Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are not painting that beautiful piece. So many antiques are ruined by painting them --everything does not need to be white. Just my opinion. Will miss you while you are on "blogging vacation". Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cherry highboy is beautiful as it is, I'm glad you're not covering that finish with paint. :) Enjoy your break and remember to take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beauty! I'm happy you are going to move her into your bedroom! I think our bedrooms should be retreats for us!

    I will try to do the photo challenge this year. I want to use my camera more, not just my phone, and practice taking better photos.

    Enjoy your break! We'll be here waiting for your return!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I second the thoughts about Nora Murphy's Country House! I love her online magazine and blog! Thank you for telling me about it!

      Delete
  6. Queen Anne is lovely as she is, and although I'm a fan of painted furniture, I'd leave her as she is. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, I'm happy to hear that the Queen will be staying her lovely original self. She will give you a lot of great storage in your bedroom.
    I have been saving Nora Murphy's to read when I have some quiet moments. I also learned about her from you, so thank you.
    Enjoy your break and I'll see you when you return. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. That highboy is stunning and I always loved a cherry finish. Don't sell yourself short on who is the queen over there......;-). I can't wait to hear about what is going on! Take lots of photos! I am thinking about the photo challenge but linking with this iPad gives me pause....I have to get the lap top up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! That is one gorgeous piece of furniture and I'm glad you're satisfied with your decision. That pie looks delicious, and that bedroom looks like I wish mine did and never will! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece of furniture, I thinks she will enjoy her new place, and you get to say good morning and good night to her! ~smile~ So glad that you decided to not paint, I dearly love natural wood especially when they are so elegant.
    The bedroom you have shown is absolutely beautiful, I am immediately drawn to the book shelves!
    Blue berry pie looks yummy too, will be making one soon as my berries are producing now.
    Enjoy your break, while making memories!
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew! =D

    Enjoy the family time!

    Off to see more of this recommended magazine...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made a fabulous "find". I feel more courage to give you my vote now that you've already decided. That beautiful cherry stain is unparalleled to paint. If it were a pine jelly cabinet for the kitchen I might decide otherwise. I follow your board on Pinterest "I Could Live Here," and share your Early American tastes. The Queen will look stunning in whatever room she resides.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your break - this is the time to do so. Summer and Memory Making Moments should definitely be a priority.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...