As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Late Summer Weekend


Have you checked everything off on your summer list? (Do you have a summer list, or is that a little odd?) 

We have certainly not completed our summer list this year! Our homeschool year went well into the summer, so we didn't have as much time to work on it. We did some of our fun things and some of our projects and then we ran out of summer. We had hoped to try out a local cupcake shop and have lunch at a couple of cafes (so maybe we just really wanted to eat?), but we'll do it someday. Or we won't. 

This past weekend, we squeezed in a little more summertime. 

We made a batch of vanilla bean ice cream! That is good summer eating! 

We had hoped to have the old neighborhood over for an ice cream party, but Tropical Storm Hermine threatened to rain on our parade party, so we planned for a smaller group (just the eighteen of us!) to party on the sun porch. 








We also celebrated, not an August birthday, but a little six-year-old with a September birthday, our granddaughter Alaine!






On Labor Day, the four of us went out for lunch (crab soup for me!) and then we visited an antique mall that was new to us. It was a successful adventure! Each of us found goodies to bring home. I used some birthday money to buy this little turkey candy mold. 




Now we begin our stay-cation. This week, we hope to get both Kati's and Bekah's bedrooms painted and a new ceiling fan hung in Bekah's room. The girls have done such a great job decorating their new rooms (after somewhat sadly giving up their charming rooms at The Farmhouse), so we want to help them finish the job with fresh paint.

I may disappear from the Internet for a few days. Heloise (my laptop) suffered a minor accident and has a broken hinge. She will be going to the computer doctor to be treated. Perhaps by the time I return to Blogland, I'll be able to share some pics of the girls' new rooms!


Are you hoping to squeeze anything else into your summer?


14 comments:

  1. We did the same - made some vanilla bean ice-cream to enjoy at this summer's end!!! Looking forward to your decorating feats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small party of 18! LOL. Yum...vanilla bean is Dear's favorite. I like your turkey mold. Hope Heloise gets an easy fix and the painting goes well. We have Dear's birthday to celebrate on Friday and our next big event will be on the first day of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our friends leave tomorrow, our summer is over. I am on to autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your "small" parties, lol, kind of like ours. Home made ice cream sounds soo good! All of your pics are good, but that pic of the little guy on the chair, may be the CUTEST thing I ever saw. What a little doll. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun around your house! And you have some of the cutest "grands" I've seen. Looks like everyone had a great "end of summer" time. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You squeeze so much life into your time with children and grands. I can NOT believe that Alaine is six! And I cannot believe her baby sister is sitting up!

    This is not my summer for fun, though my sisters-in-law and I are talking about a day at the ocean. We keep talking about it, but not doing it. I may have to take the bull by the horns. =D

    Happy painting, everybody! Hope that you have a few fun days planned on this staycation...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer is over now that school has begun for all the grands. We will be having summer temperatures for a while, so maybe we can make some homemade ice cream. We usually make it in the summer, but time has gotten away from us.
    I love the ice cream bar you have set up for the sweet party celebrating your grand's birthday. The children are so cute in every photo. I look forward to seeing the girl's bedrooms all freshly painted! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picture of your grandchildren lined up for their ice cream treat just touched me! I am welcoming fall here, if it will ever really come. Summer was a bit of a dud with the Gardener's illness so I'm ready to be on to a new season! Enjoy the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think lunch at a cafe is like a mini vacation. I am so not into hiking or climbing mountains, never was, and at my age now, forget about it. Unfortunately, I am not sad to see this particular summer end, I was sick for 2/3 of it, had to cancel my vacation and was pretty much housebound. I am ready for fall. But still hot and humid. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thought of home made ice cream brings back memories of church ice cream socials when I was a girl.

    It looks like you all had a great time once again.

    I look forward to see your girls new bedrooms. Have fun painting, etc.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so blessed to have yours so close. What a bunch of cuties! Our summer is quickly turning into Fall, and God willing we are supposed to be hosting all the kids together for the first time in just over two years. I'll take pics to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love how you make a simple doing .. a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl, when I see your family fun photos, I want to join right in! And we are of like minds, both making homemade ice cream. Only *yours* was the vanilla I like, and *mine* was a flavor you're very fond of!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...